Due to the mandatory evacuation required at Our Lady Star of the Sea, the Stewardship Retreat scheduled for Thursday, September 5th has been cancelled.
Also, please note that all other parish activities (including 8:30 am & 7:00 pm Mass & Faith Formation Classes) have been cancelled for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of this week.
School Closures Announced - St. Johns & Duval County Schools Closed Tuesday & Wednesday.
All Schools in the St. Augustine Diocese are closed Tuesday & most are reporting as closed on Wednesday.
Our Lady Star of the Sea – Hurricane Dorian Update
What’s new today 9/3/19:
Mandatory Evacuation for Zones A & B in St. Johns County go into effect at 8:00 am, Monday, September 2
At 1100 a.m. EDT (1500 UTC), the eye of Hurricane Dorian was located near latitude 27.1 north, longitude 78.6 west. Dorian is moving toward the northwest near 2 mph (4 km/h), and a slightly faster motion toward the northwest or north-northwest is expected later today and tonight. A turn toward the north is forecast by Wednesday evening, followed by a turn toward the north-northeast Thursday morning. On this track, the core of extremely dangerous Hurricane Dorian will gradually move north of grand bahama island through this evening. The hurricane will then move dangerously close to the Florida east coast late today through Wednesday evening, very near the Georgia and South Carolina coasts Wednesday night and Thursday, and near or over the North Carolina coast late Thursday and Thursday night.
Data from reconnaissance aircraft indicate that the maximum sustained winds are near 110 mph (175 km/h) with higher gusts. Dorian is expected to remain a powerful hurricane during the next couple of days.
Data from aircraft and buoys indicate that the hurricane is growing in size. Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 60 miles (95 km) from the center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 175 miles (280 km).
The latest minimum central pressure based on data from air force reserve and noaa reconnaissance aircraft is 955 mb (28.20 inches).
Watches and Warnings Changes with this advisory:
- The storm surge warning has been extended northward to south santee river, South Carolina.
- The storm surge watch has been extended northward to cape lookout, North Carolina.
Summary of watches and warnings in effect:
- A hurricane warning is in effect for, * grand bahama and the abacos islands in the northwestern Bahamas * jupiter inlet fl to ponte vedra beach fl * north of edisto beach sc to south santee river sc
- A hurricane watch is in effect for, * north of ponte vedra beach fl to edisto beach sc * north of south santee river sc to duck nc * albemarle and pamlico sounds
- A tropical storm warning is in effect for, * north of deerfield beach fl to jupiter inlet fl * north of ponte vedra beach fl to edisto beach sc
- A tropical storm watch is in effect for, * lake okeechobee
For storm information specific to your area in the United States, including possible inland watches and warnings, please monitor products issued by your local National Weather Service forecast office.
If you would like more information on the hourly progression of wind speeds visit www.windfinder.com